This contest aims to rescue the tradition of Cuban percussion, characterized by the African sounds that sealed our music. It is open to all interpreters and awards the best by a select jury, composed of great masters of Cuban percussion.
Requirements for the Percussion Contest are the follows:
- The percussion instruments to compete are: timbales or pailas, bongoes, drums, congas or tumbadoras and Batá drums.
- Each competitor will have the opportunity to compete in two instruments.
- No professional or academic requirements to compete.
- Jury is made up of outstanding percussionists who are in charge of granting as many prizes as they deem appropriate, and there is no right of appeal against the decision made.
- The Organizing Committee will provide the venue of the event with as many percussion instruments as necessary. Play with personal instruments will be allowed in case they do not affect the rhythm of the event, and the jury will have the last word.
- The musical genres to compete are the follows: Contreadance, Danzón, Cha cha chá, Charanga, Mambo, Son, Guaracha, Bolero, Salsa, Songos, Pilón, Afro or 6x8, Changüí, Conga Santiaguera, Havana Conga and Comparsa, Mozambique, Rumba, Timba, Congo (Palo, Makuta and Yuka), and Abbakuá.
*Note: The Jury has the possibility to decide any of these popular and Afro-Cuban rhythms. In the case any participant had neither general nor partial knowledge about these genres, it would not be a problem to participate.
- The jury will set the performance time according to the quality and creativity performed.
- A minimum of 2 genres will be requested to be performed individually for each instrument. Competitors will have to make 1 or 2 improvisations in different musical genres, except for Batá Drums in which the 3 drums will be played simultaneously, understanding that these can be or not sung, and jury will determine the “beats” or what Yoruba Religion Saint will be interpreted in these instruments.
- The Jury will evaluate –in each participant- knowledge about genres or styles, rhythm, creativity, and if necessary, virtuosity.
- Those participants who won first place in previous instruments from domestic or international music companies such as: SABIAN, GON BOPS, KoSA, LUDWIG, PROMARK, SONOC, EVANS, Ae, etc.
- The prize-winning competitors will be also awarded with diplomas and souveniers by national and international known firms or brands, as well as by Palco Business Group, the Organizing Committee and other institutions involved in the event.
Casino and Rumba Competition
This contest aims to rescue and maintain the Casino and Rumba as popular dances in Cuba, as well as recognize the best dancers. The participation is open and free.
Requirements for the Casino and Rumba Contests are the follows:
- Casino Contest will be conducted by using Cuban music.
- There is no age limit for Casino or Rumba contests.
- In the case of Casino contest, participants will have to improvise.
- The Cuban contestants will be selected for participating in the pre-contest which will be held from March 2nd to 3rd, at the America Theater, at 1:00 pm. Cuban contestants from other provinces may appear in the qualifiers for foreigners on March 23rd if they so decide, to avoid having to travel twice to Havana.
- The jury will be made up of outstanding professors and professionals. There is no right of appeal against the decision made.
- Dance couples performing time for Casino and Rumba Contests will be to jury´s decision.
- Competition for Rumba contest will be able to compete individually in Columbia Style, or in couples in Yambú or Guaguancó styles. One male and/or one woman will be rewarded in Columbia style, and also one couple in other genres.
- Regarding Casino and Rumba Competitions, the jury will award the BEST CHILD PERFORMANCE Prize.
The Casino Final Competition will be held on Tuesday 26 and Rumba Final Competition on Friday, March 27th, at 8.00 pm in the Karl Marx Hotel, and winners will be awarded on March 29th, at the same theather at 3:00 pm.
- The 1st prize winning-dance couples of the Casino and Rumba Competitions, and the man and woman who remain winners in the Columbia Competition will be awarded by the Festival with: Diploma of the event; and two-night reservation (free of charges) at the Palco Hotel, sponsored by the Palco Business Group. The Jury will grant a SPECIAL PRIZE that includes a one-week reservation in a 4 or 5-star hotel in Varadero (free of charges).
- Varied prizes for the BEST CHILD PERFORMANCE.
- 2 cell phones for couples who win the First Place in the Casino and Rumba among other sponsor prizes, 1 cell phone to the winner in the specialty of Columbia.
- The 2nd and 3rd places will receive awards from the Palco Business with invitations to restaurants and facilities of the Company itself, among other prizes from multiple sponsors, in addition to Diplomas.